Tuesday, March 4, 2014

This housewife likes black and white stripes and sugar-free Nutella!

All week I have been thinking to myself, as I have been pottering around the house completing my to-do-lists... 'How great would it be if I were a housewife?' Ok, ok, ok- before a cabin fevered housewife comes running through my door screaming 'don't do it!' I will clarify what I mean by this daydream. I think I like the IDEA of being a housewife. I mean, who doesn't like the thought of not having any work commitments or responsibilities besides completing a daily list of chores that you have created for yourself- made up entirely of what you FEEL like doing that day. So the feminist in me is cringing right now, but so what? I am really enjoying my limbo time between travel and work! I have been cooking, reading, going to the beach, cleaning out cupboards, doing chores...all I need now is a 1940's pinup lingerie set and I'm practically living out my dream (minus the rich husband and screaming children)!
Buuuuttttttt...I do want a job. Especially because I am saving for another trip in June (details to come!) and I do actually like having a job and routine... but while that isn't an option, I am going to live it up as a homebody!
Just to prove that I have actually been social and left the house lately (which I have, a LOT, considering my lack of money!) I will write about last Friday night.


After running my hand along the clothes in my wardrobe joyously for about 10 minutes (oh how I missed you, clothes!) I decided on a stripy black and white top- god, I love black and white stripes- teamed with the highest pants in ze worllldddd! They are a bright blue colour and I got them from an op shop last year for about $10- absolute steal! My strappy sandals are also from the oppy- I love these shoes because they have a small wedged heel which is perfect for the amazon lady that is myself!
After I finished it off with some red lippy (no surprise) I was ready for a night out with the girls!

The beautiful behinds of Hannah and Ida ;)

We went and saw a few bands that played in a pop-up venue ran through the Fringe Festival. It was a nice night, which was perfect because the venue was set up in an alleyway between two buildings. There was fake grass, party lights and LOTS of people. Due to my health-kick and low cash, I was not drinking, and although it was a really good time, it was not the best place to be sober! After what seemed like the 10000th crowd shove and witnessing the third fight of the night, I was ready to bail! 


Yoghurt Pannacotta

The beauty of sobriety, is the amazing 'oh-cool-I-don't-have-a-hang-over' feeling you have the next day. I woke up and went for a bike ride to Henley Beach to meet my friends. I really hope the weather stays like this a bit longer! I love doing stuff like that- plus it is free!
That night I had another quiet one. I went to my Grandy and Grumpy's house for dinner, which was awesome because I got to request what was on the menu. I asked for Crab Linguine, which I helped Grandy to make with fresh crab, brandy and cream.....*drool!*
She also made me yoghurt pannacotta, which I had for breakfast with apricots, strawberries and cashew nuts the next morning. It was a good weekend for food! 

Roasting hazelnuts for my sugar-free Nutella

I love being creative with my cooking- I hardly ever follow a 'normal recipe' and by 'normal' I mean anything that doesn't involve quinoa or some variation of nut paste (as 'food-hipster' as that may sound). I like to challenge myself by trying recipes that have something different about them, like using super foods, cooking vegetarian/vegan food or trying to cook something that is sugar/gluten/dairy-free.
Like this homemade sugar-free Nutella, which is from a recipe out of one of my favourite cook books 'I quit sugar' by Sarah Wilson.

Word of advice: do NOT mock it until you try it! It has no sugar in it, but it still manages to taste like blended ferrero rocher chocolates! Just ask my brother....

As much as I have been going on about having no job or responsibilities, I forgot to mention that this week marks my first week back at university! I am only doing it part-time this year, which means I only have to go to Uni on Thursdays- but that is still a responsibility, right?! I am really excited to start studying again. I have already been learning an hour of French everyday, so hopefully that does not decrease once I have another two subjects to tend to. I am really happy with my French-learning. I have a pretty strong motivation (in the form of a cute French boy that I really can't wait to see again) so I hope I can learn a lot before that time comes!


New semester, new frames- my old ones were left on a bus in the UK...hopefully these ones have more luck. But if not, I got them in black, too!



2 comments: