Friday, July 4, 2014

Ohhh European summer, where did you go?

I'm baaaaaaacckkkkk...and freezing my butt off! I guess the downside of escaping Adelaide winter to go frolicking in the European summer... is coming back to Adelaide winter. I know I shouldn't complain- but I have a tan and no one can see it under all these clothes! *sigh.* 
Ok I will stop complaining now and try to warm myself by uploading some holiday snaps.
So I left about a month ago. I just realised I didn't even say goodbye on here! Well here is a postponed au revoir and a brand new bonjour to get things rolling! 


The long summer days were not the only thing getting me on a 24 hour flight to Europe- I had an even better reason. I met up with my boyfriend, Philippe, in Paris, which all sounds very romantic...and in fact, I think it was! After not seeing someone for almost 5 months, where better to meet than Paris!? We saw lots of the city and sights, ate yummy food and I almost talked the poor boy's head off in the space of two days...

Breakfast in Paris. A big change from my usual green smoothies and oats... a very delicious, carb-filled change...

Duckies! :)


My favourite sights (apart from croissants and bread coming towards me) were The Louvre, The Eiffel Tower and duckies in a pond!


I was sure to wear my 'french' top for this day! I liked the Eiffel tower at night, but I liked eating lunch
on the grass underneath it during the day even more!


After Paris it was time for Philippe's hometown of La Roche. It was nice to be there again- I visited there in December last year and to be honest I didn't know I would be back so soon! It was cool to see Philippe's family and friends again, as well as meet some new ones.


I went for a few walks and runs while I was away, but not many. After I got completely lost in La Roche one morning and had to call Philippe to come and get me...I was a little put off...
Lovely scenery in La Roche though!




We were lucky to be able to relax in La Roche for a few days, because then came the drive to Spain. It took 9 hours, but we stopped overnight in Bordeaux on the way there. Even with the stop-over it was still a looooong drive. Poor Philippe had to drive the whole way because (I am ashamed to say) I can't drive a manual and I was not used to driving on the opposite side of the road! But we finally made it to our little apartment in Peñiscola- home for a whole week!

The view from our apartment on the beach!

Peñiscola was a cool little place- it was made up of two bays, which meant really still water and wide sandy beaches. In the middle of the two bays of water was the town, made up of random little buildings and tiny streets which led up to a hill with markets and a castle on top of it! We got there before tourist season so it was not too busy- just perfect.




We did a couple of day trips away from Peñiscola, including one to Valencia to see one of Philippe's friends. We only went for one night and didn't get much of a chance to explore the city, which we instantly regretted once we got there. There was so much art everywhere! The streets were so typically European in that old rustic way. It always happens when travelling- the places you don't expect too much of always end up being the ones worth seeing! Oh well, maybe Philippe and I will go back one day...



After getting extremely drunk in Valencia on our only night there, the next morning we had to wake up early to drive back towards Peñiscola because it was time for another big reunion! This one was with my two beautiful German girlfriends, Sina and Mascha! After leaving Sunderland, we didn't think we would be seeing each other again for a long time, so we were excited that it was happening so soon! After a hung over drive, some confusion with the trains and two large McDonald's meals, Philippe and I found ourselves waiting at the train station in Vinaros for two funny little German girls to arrive. Finally I saw both their tired little faces (they had a few issues with the train ride to Peñiscola) and it was like we were never apart!


In true 'Sina-Mascha-style'-- checking the photos to make sure we look alright haha!

We had a lazy day at the beach and the pool and then went to have some dinner and drinks. It was nice to catch up and spend time with all these people that I didn't think I would be seeing again for years.



This one must have made the cut! Now all we need is Beth!

The next day, we all drove to Barcelona, where Sina and Mascha were staying. We had a look around the city, had lunch and then hung out at the rooftop pool at their hotel! I liked Barcelona, but like Valencia, I didn't get enough time to really see much of it. It was a lot more modern than what I expected but still beautiful. I think one day I have to come back and explore the whole of Spain- just Spain! I loved it so much!



I had to take a photo of these Barcelona Markets to show Mum- I will admit they were a big competition for our beloved Adelaide Central Markets back at home!

Dragon Fruit smoothie... oh yes...


and a nice healthy burrito to follow... Maybe not healthy...but definitely a burrito. I rest my case.


We finished off our Barcelona day trip with dinner and drinks on the coast. 

The girls checking out the menu. I will miss them! But I was so happy to find that our friendship had remained the same despite the time and distance! Hopefully we will see each other again soon- maybe Germany? Maybe Australia? Maybe somewhere totally random- it doesn't matter, I know it will be another good time.

Our last look at Barcelona

For our last day in Peñiscola, we finally explored the castle on the top of the hill- something that we kept meaning to do from the first day that we got there (but all our relaxing and living the good life got in the way).


Philippe's friends came to visit from Valencia, so we all walked up there to check it out. Of course, it was amazing and there were a million little cafes and restaurants overlooking the ocean that we should have gone to during our stay- but it's ok, another time!


It was a cool place- history mixed with beautiful ocean views, so we couldn't really go wrong there!




Finally, after a week in paradise, it was time to leave our little apartment on the beach of Peñiscola. I was sad to leave, but not too much because I was still happy about having another week left in France. We spent it in La Roche, just relaxing and seeing Philippe's friends. My favourite day of the last week was when we went to a lake to have a picnic and hire an electric boat. It was my idea of a perfect day, but I will admit that my sadness and anxiety about leaving soon was starting to creep in. 

My new favourite beer! I wonder if we can get this in Adelaide. I know we have the brand, but not sure about this specific flavour...

Sunny days in France are the best days!

Take me back! :(

Now I am back in Adelaide and I can't pretend to be 100% positive about it. I love Adelaide and coming home to it is always a good thing, but missing somebody is not. There are a lot of things I would do to be back on this balcony in Peñiscola with this funny Frenchman, but that isn't how things are for the moment! I had such a great time with him and I will always remember it, but I hope there are a lot more memories with him to come...
:)

2 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely post I love it, all the photos, the food markets oooohhmmmmffffgggg look amazing! Safe to say you have made me ooober jealous! I miss you so much xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you too love! Thanks for reading! Have you been posting? I will look now! xxx

      Delete