I don't mind winter. Actually I like all the seasons because each one is beautiful in a different way. In summer I love the smell of freshly cut grass and the way everything looks happy, in spring I love the blossom trees (and my birthday!), in Autumn I love walking through the city looking at all those special trees that change to orange...and in winter... I LOVE SOUP!
I have had a few days off work lately, which has not really bothered me because I have been able to make some really yummy lunches. Last week I suddenly remembered a soup recipe that I used to love but hadn't made in a while. So after another enjoyable trip to the central markets, I was armed with some fresh ingredients to make it!
The recipe is 'Leek and Almond Soup,' but I always add broccoli. It is a really simple soup- just leek, celery, broccoli, garlic, almond meal and almond milk- sounds weird but I promise it is delicious! And filling!
| Almond and Leek soup, with a side of rye toast with rocket pesto and blue cheese. Fanciest lunch I have had in a while... probably since France! |
I have to say I felt very French eating this for lunch. Mainly because it took longer to make than a normal Aussie lunch would (usually just a can of tuna and some salad!) but also because it involved some yummy bread (although it was rye loaf, not a baguette!). I guess I am just practicing for my next visit to France- which is in exactly one month!!!! I liked spending the time preparing this with some music playing in the background- it made my lunch so much more satisfying! Plus, I have left-overs for days!
Another good thing about it being winter is that when I have days off I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about getting around in my trackies and slippers and doing lots of art! I have started experimenting in watercolour. I am surprised at how intricate it can be for such an uncontrolled painting style. I have also been mixing my water colour patterns with my favourite medium- the classic black felt tip pen. I feel like this keeps it closer to my own style...
| This one is my favourites so far. I want to try and make it the background of my blog... let's see how computer savvy I can be! |
![]() |
| I also like this one... just because I love painting in yellow. |
Speaking of yellow, I just HAVE to mention an amazing gift that I received a couple of weeks ago. A family friend of mine was reading my blog and saw that I love all things vintage. I knew her Mum, who sadly passed away a while ago, but I remember her very clearly. She was a friendly little thing, with a contagious laugh. she was always baking, and when I think of her I always think of the smell of Anzac cookies- because that was something she always made. Because of these memories, the present I received from her daughter was made even more special...
This is a genuine 1940's glove set- all in yellow, and I adore it. The gloves are still lovely and soft without a stain on them. The bag has a brass clasp, which unfolds to reveal the gloves and a little coin purse.
I thought it was so adorable to still find a little pencil in the coin purse (they didn't have phones or iPads to write things down in back then!) as well as a tuppence! I have never even seen one of those before!
The bag still contains the original mirror, which is a bit faded but still in good condition. How interesting would it be to see all the reflections that this mirror has seen...
I love looking at things like this from my favourite era, because it makes it easier for me to envision it. But apart from just looking at it, I love wearing it! I am excited for it to get colder so I can wear the gloves!
I was also given another bag and an outfit, but I will have to save those for another post!
xxx



You bettereally not show Ruby she will be very jealous her favourite colour. I love your new art work, as soon as I saw your sun flowers I thought of Ruby too! She turns 5 tomorrow.
ReplyDeletewow 5 already! Crazy! Thanks for reading :)
Delete