Thursday, May 1, 2014

Old books, new art works and a study day in Adelaide city

Hello! I am still here! Sorry it has been a while since my last post! There are a few reasons for this. The first is that I got sooooo close to getting the blogging position I was writing about in my last post, but in the end I did not get it! I was so disappointed, and to be honest I was a bit deflated and put off from blogging for a little while. But I am over that now! So here is a blog post! I am going to write about the lovely study day I had last weekend with Sophie. Both sick of being stuck inside doing endless hours of homework, we decided it was time for a change of scenery. 



We took a train into the city and got our priorities straight by heading directly to one of my favourite cafe restaurants in Adelaide- Horner & Pratt. If you live in Adelaide (or ever visit Adelaide) do yourself a favour and go to that place! I have never been disappointed with my meal there- and I have been there manyyyyy times! Soph and I got tabouleh and halloumi wraps with salad and some very colourful veggie juices!


Followed by a few sweet something's to give us extra study energy!


Our place of study choice was the Adelaide State Library- a place that was on my Adelaide to-do-list! I had never been there before but it is now officially my favourite place to study- I will definitely be going back there to work on my next few assignments. The books in there are so old and well preserved, and I love that they make such a colourful pattern along the shelves. Just like any library, it was really quiet in there and Soph and I did about four hours of homework straight! It was refreshing to have a change of scenery but also feel like we were accomplishing something. Plus I liked the old shelf ladders and the smell of old books, both a welcoming distraction from my mac screen when I needed a little break!




At 5pm, the library was closing, but we were not meeting our friends for dinner until later. So we walked along West Terrace, enjoying the nice weather and the pop-up market that was running. With more time to kill, we went and did one more hour of study at the UniSA city campus, where I did an hour of French. I should mention that my French audio lessons are going well! I have learnt so much in the past few weeks and I am really enjoying it! Only 5 weeks until I will be able to practice in France! I am beyond excited about this...



After a long, productive, but enjoyable day of studying, we met up with the other girls for dinner. We went to Jerusalem on Hindley street, a sheshkebab house that does really cheap and delicious Middle Eastern banquets. I had never been there before either, but like the State Library, it is another Adelaide gem that I will be revisiting! Scrumptious food! I especially loved the hummus.


I really love Adelaide city, and I wish I had a chance to get there more often. I could quite easily walk around all the different streets that I know, as well as discover all the ones I have never seen before. There is so much culture and hidden art to be found... I think I need to organise a day where I do exactly that- put on my runners and just walk around Adelaide city all day! 


I have also been doing lots of art of my own lately. I am running a market stall in mid May and also have some people that are interested in exhibiting some of my works, which is a good reason to keep working on it. Plus, after having a couple of 'off' weeks lately and not feeling too great (another reason for no blog posts), it has been good to focus on painting and drawing- something that always makes me feel at ease. I have also started a trial at a hot yoga studio this week, with an aim of de-stressing myself and becoming more centred. I will give an update on this, as well as any new art works in my next post!


No comments:

Post a Comment