Wednesday, May 14, 2014

My DIY natural skin care products... and some arts and crafts to match!


I have wanted to publish this post for the past week now, but I couldn't incase my Mum read it! The reason being that I got very creative with her Mother's Day present! I am always interested in anything natural, and have recently been reading a lot about DIY natural skin care. I have had some recipe ideas for a while, and thought they would make good presents if they were packaged in a cute way. So that is exactly what I got to work on for Mum's Mother's Day present!
I worked with fairly basic ingredients- although they weren't cheap! I used Organic Manuka Honey, Rosehip Oil, Lavender Oil, Coconut oil, almonds, sugar and cinnamon. While these ingredients were costly (about $50 for all of it) I think I will manage to get about three batches from this purchase. 



Making the skin products was only half the fun for me! I was more interested in how I could package them. I wanted to design the labels, complete with ingredient lists and instructions, and I also wanted to put the products in small glass jars to give the skin care a rustic look. I had an absolute ball one afternoon- painting minuscule water colour flowers onto tiny little squares of brown cardboard! They really were so tiny and intricate, and I was pretty proud of the result. I found some little jars at Ned's (oh god, how I love that place- I swear the shop assistants know me by name there!).



I ended up with a total of three different products (which I tested everyday for a week before making a second batch for Mum's present).

This is what I made:

--- Manuka Honey and Almond Sugar Scrub ---

Manuka Honey
Coconut Oil
Rosehip
Crushed almonds
Sugar

--- Manuka Honey, Rosehip and Cinnamon Cleanser ---

Manuka Honey
Rosehip Oil
Cinnamon

--- Lavender and Coconut Oil Night Cream ---

Coconut Oil
Lavender Oil

They were all a success, and I am proud to announce that Mum loved them. We have both been using them since I gave them to her and have had good results. I especially love the scrub because it seems to give my skin a nice 'bouncy' feeling to touch, as well as making it super smooth before putting on makeup. But my favourite is the night cream. The two oils were whipped together with an electric beater after they cooled, and this gave it a silky, fluffy texture. The lavender is also really soothing and puts me straight to sleep!



I also had some fun making a matching card to go with the present. I really love using the watercolours with the black felt tip pen- it is becoming a very regular art medium of mine.






I don't think I will be buying store skin products ever again- I am so happy with the results of my own! Mum reports that she is also happy with them. I was happy to make them for her- beautiful natural skin products for a naturally beautiful lady! 

xxxx



2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful... I have also been experimenting with DIY natural products but for hair care... shampoo, conditioner, treatments, etc... Some lovely ideas here...thanks for sharing, Rachel =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Natasha! Oh, I have not even THOUGHT of shampoo and conditioner yet! Next on the list now! :) xx

      Delete