Monday, May 19, 2014

How a hot room and a kitchen made for the perfect day...

I want to write about the glorious day I had last week. I think it was a Wednesday. I'm not sure if I have mentioned yet, but I joined a Hot Yoga class a few weeks ago. Well, if I didn't mention it, I am doing so now! I have done Hot Yoga before, when I lived in the Gold Coast a few years ago, so I knew what I was in for when I went to do a trial at Peak Physique Yoga Studio. What I didn't expect, was how much I had missed it! I had forgotten what Hot Yoga does for me- not only physically but also mentally (in a very big way). At first it was very hard as I was not used to the heat- I had to lay down for most of my first couple of classes! But that is the beautiful thing about it- yoga is about individual progress, and it is the first 'work out' that I have ever been interested in that does not involve competing with the person next to me. After my first couple of classes, my body became used to the temperature, plus I started going to the 6am sessions as they are the first class of the day and are a little bit cooler- lucky I am an early bird!


After I finished my 7 day trial, I joined up straight away because I was already hooked! I have been doing it almost everyday and I love the warm, fuzzy, flexible feeling I have for the rest of the day. It also improves my mood, because I feel like the class is almost a 'break' from thinking, a time to focus on myself and set some intentions. I read somewhere that Hot Yoga also balances hormone levels (awesome for girls- haha!). I love it and have been feeling really happy.



So, on this glorious Wednesday last week, I started the day off with a Hot Yoga session. As usual, it put me in high spirits and gave me lots of motivation. Not that a needed much because, after finding out that I had the day off from work, I planned a market trip and cooking day with Mum.


As we do every time we go, Mum and I had an enjoyable little visit to the Central Markets. We got some bargains, some fresh food and a coffee! I had a whole menu planned for that night's dinner (I had some friends coming) so I bought all the ingredients fresh from the market shelves! 
When I got home, the ingredients that I had bought literally covered the whole kitchen bench... which pleased me... haha! I couldn't wait to start cooking.

This is my favourite corner in the kitchen- I think it looks like a little scene from a cooking magazine. I like the colour contrast between the lemons, the avocados and the red tray. Plus, this is where all the essentials are- coconut oil, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, spices and balsamic vinegar! <3

My menu for the night was as follows:


--- Homemade Dark Rye Bread---

--- Leek, Broccoli and Almond Soup---

---Caraway and Pumpkin Pasties---

---Dark Chocolate---

Ok, I didn't make the last item- I would like to thank Lindt Chocolate for that one! But I did make everything else- even the wholemeal pastry for the pumpkin pasties! It was a LOT of work, but thankfully Soph came over to help me for the afternoon! It was really our ideal day- cooking in the kitchen talking about silly stuff... it is what we do best!


Mum pulled out her old Pritikin cookbooks from the 80's. It was a diet that was considered a bit alternative back then, but when you read through the books, all the recipes are just what we call 'clean eating' these days! Nothing processed, all natural, easy to digest, nothing packaged, minimal sugar- just like the clean eating ideas! Plus, they are full of clever healthy recipes, such as the Pumpkin and Caraway Pasties!




The soup was the easy part- I could make this recipe with my eyes closed, I make it so often! I like it because there is no precise way of doing it- just chuck all the ingredients in, simmer and blend- il est prĂȘt! ('It is ready' in French- See!? I am getting better! Haha!)



The tricky part was the pasties. I wanted to have a go at making my own wholemeal pastry, just because I like making as much from scratch as possible when I cook... They were a success, but very fiddly! Wholemeal flour does not hold together as well as white flour, but Soph became the expert in this department, so I cheekily let her skilled hands finish that job!



This dinner was a perfect winter warmer. Cooking always puts me in a good mood, so that teamed with the Hot Yoga that morning made me one happy little housewife! 
Everything turned out really well- even the homemade Rye Bread! 



After all that, enjoying the meal with a few friends was the perfect end to my perfect day. 




2 comments:

  1. When are we invited to dinner? Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon Grandy! I will organise something! ;)

      Delete