Coming home to Adelaide, in my opinion, is always a good thing...Except this time round.
I arrived safely on the tarmac of Adelaide airport a little after 9am this Monday after just under eight months away studying and travelling. Naturally, I was excited to see my family after such a long time. As I walked through the arrivals gate I first saw my Grandy waving frantically at me, then I spotted my Mum, Dad and Grumpy. There were some happy tears (or so I thought) as I greeted them all with a hug. It was a very happy moment, and I guess it is a funny thing to think back on in hindsight. This is because about twenty minutes later, during the car ride home, I would find out that my parents had to put my beloved dog to sleep a few days before. My little Milly had become very sick quite suddenly, and she could not hold on.
I was completely in shock and totally devastated. I didn't know what to do with myself- I had been looking forward to seeing her for the entire time I was away! I cried for 12 hours straight until my face muscles hurt and I couldn't cry anymore.
It is a shame that this is the first thing I have to write about on this blog, but I feel that she deserves a mention. She was a good dog, and an even better friend. I will miss her very much!
| I will miss that wet little nose! |
| Semaphore Jetty |
The walks and runs are part of one of the items on my 'to-do-list' that I have created for myself. As I mentioned in the blog introduction, I want to focus on my health and fitness, so I have been doing a lot of exercise and eating really healthy since I got back.
![]() |
| Semaphore Road |
| Everyday has started with one of these babies!!! Green Smoothies always make me feel good on the inside but also give me good skin! |
| Oats with coconut water, blueberries, greek yogurt and peanut butter. Plus one of the pretty flowers my Nanna gave me as a welcome home present! |
| It has been salads galore in our kitchen! Mostly vegetarian, but also some smoked salmon occasionally. |
I swam twice this week (thanks to Dad for paying for me since I am COMPLETELY BROKE!) and I found that sticking to swimming twice a week while I was away really helped to keep my swimming fitness up. I thought I would not be able to keep up with the others, but it seems I am the same as when I left!
I also went for my first tennis game with good friend (and sometimes personal trainer), Alex, followed by a weights session. Alex runs his own personal training business called First Class Fitness (FCF), and he is extremely knowledgable about diet and exercise regimes. He has suggested that I start counting my Macros (daily intake of protein, fats and carbs) to see where my diet needs changes. Clearly, a very informed fitness friend to have around! I also love training with him because he pushes me REALLY hard, yet I still enjoy it!
I plan to really stick to my health efforts after my 8 months away- which, of course, was filled with copious amounts of alcohol and 'tasting' each and every place I visited through the wonder of food! I don't regret any of it, but it is time to start getting healthy and looking fit again for my next trip (hopefully in June or July this year!.)In the meantime, I also need to save money like crazy, but I also have an aim of enjoying my hometown as much as possible while I am here. I am, and always will be, an Adelaide Advocate- so I plan on blogging about some of the reasons why!

No comments:
Post a Comment